Answers to frequently asked questions
You will find the answers to our tenants' frequently asked questions here. If your question is not included, please send us an email: or use the contact form below. We'll be happy to answer your question personally.
I. Commencement of the tenancy
How do I get a certificate of residence?
As soon as you have moved in, you will automatically receive a housing provider confirmation from us. You can then use this to immediately register or re-register your residence with the registration authorities.

We would ask you to appreciate that we can only issue the certificate after the flat has been handed over, because it is a legal requirement to confirm you have moved in and not that the tenancy agreement has ended.

We will list all people known to us who are subject to registration in the housing provider confirmation. Therefore, we require the data of all the people who will live in the flat in the future for the information in the confirmation.
Schufa (credit agency) information for the landlord?
We require a Schufa report from flat applicants to ensure that we only take on solvent tenants. To make sure you have a good chance of getting the flat, please enclose a Schufa report with your flat application. If you do not have a current credit report, please allow us to obtain one. Please download and sign the form and return it to us.
II. Current tenancy
How can you reach the property management team in an emergency?
Please note at the outset that a question about service charge billing and the like is not an emergency. If you have an emergency, such as a fire or water damage, you can reach us by e-mail or by calling our office at:

Phone: +49 (0) 201 857954 90

If this is not staffed, an emergency telephone number will be provided for such emergencies.

In case of fire, flood, etc., the fire brigade / emergency services must be notified immediately on 112.

If you smell gas in the house, please inform the energy supplier. The emergency number will usually be placed on the notice board.
My bank details have changed - what do I have to do?
If your bank details change, please contact us in good time so that a new direct debit mandate can be created, if necessary. If the bank details we have on file cease to exist and the rent payment cannot be collected, this will result in additional costs which must be borne by the owner. If you no longer wish to have the rent payment collected in the future, but would like to transfer it yourself, please inform us that the collection will be cancelled.
What should I do if a lose a key?
If a key has been stolen or lost, report the loss immediately to the property management team. In case of theft, we recommend you report it to the relevant police station.

If you need more keys, these can be ordered through the property management team:

Phone: +49 (0) 201 857954 90
Do I have to inform the property management team if the number of residents in my flat changes?
The property management team must be informed about any people moving in and out during the tenancy. It is also necessary to inform the property management team if a child is born. If necessary, the operating costs will have to be adjusted to avoid unnecessarily high additional payments.
Can I simply sublet or do I have to ask the landlord?
The complete subletting of the entire flat to third parties is not permitted. Partial subletting of the flat may be permitted with the landlord's permission under certain conditions. Taking in a spouse, parents or children, as well as visitors (6 to 8 weeks) or domestic servants or nursing staff, does not count as subletting and therefore does not require permission.
What are the house rules?
House rules are a collection of regulations that may be issued for the use of the house and flats. House rules must not contain any provisions that contradict the generally applicable laws.
Is home contents and liability insurance compulsory?
It makes sense for tenants to have household contents insurance and liability insurance.

Household contents insurance protects against financial damage in the event of burglary, theft, fire, lightning, explosion, mains water damage and storm. The entire household contents are insured, including valuables and bicycles under certain circumstances.

Personal liability insurance covers possible damage to floors or ceilings, masonry and tenants' household effects in the flats below or next to them caused by burst water hoses on dishwashers or washing machines.

However, the landlord cannot demand that the tenant takes out liability or household insurance.
What should I do if there is any noise pollution?
If you think that your neighbour is frequently too noisy, please try to speak to them first. Some noisy activities are permitted by law, so we cannot help there. Consequently, it is best to try to deal with the problem objectively and calmly yourself and look for a joint solution.

If serious disturbances continue, then you can contact us, of course. Please do so in writing and provide detailed information. We will be happy to check the facts of the matter using the PDF form "Noise Record".
How do I give notice to leave my flat?
The landlord must receive the notice in writing. You will find the deadlines you must comply with in your tenancy agreement. These deadlines always refer to the receipt of the notice by the landlord, not to the date of the letter or the postmark. If in doubt, always send notice by registered mail.
III. Repairs and damage
Is there no water or heating?
If the heating malfunctions, please contact the caretaker in charge. You can usually find their contact details on the information board in the communal stairwell. If it is not possible to solve the problem in this way, please contact the property management team by e-mail or telephone:

Phone: +49 (0) 201 857954 90
I would like to report a claim!
You can use our online form for reporting defects for this purpose.
If I have any defects, can I report them to tradesmen as a tenant and have the repair done myself?
You are free to get tradesmen to carry out repairs yourself. In this case, however, you will bear the costs. If you would like the landlord to bear the costs, please inform us so that we can commission a tradesman.

As a precaution, we would like to point out that you may have a minor repairs clause in your tenancy agreement. This states that in the case of minor defects, the tenant must pay for the costs of repair up to a certain amount. Please refer to your tenancy agreement for more information.
IV. End of the tenancy
What happens if I have given notice to leave my flat?
You will receive a confirmation of your notice in the next few days. After that, your flat will be advertised for re-letting and you may be contacted regarding possible viewings.

After the end of the tenancy, an acceptance and handover date will be agreed with the next tenant. A handover report on the condition of the flat will be drawn up and the keys handed over.

You will usually receive your deposit within 6 weeks after the end of the tenancy, but no later than 6 months after you move out. If any repairs are necessary as a result of the acceptance report, the costs for these will be taken off the deposit. The processing period may be extended accordingly.
Is renovation necessary when moving out?
What is decisive here is what was stipulated in your tenancy agreement and what the condition is at the time of handover. If you took over a renovated flat when you moved in, it usually has to be handed over renovated as well.
Can the next tenant take over some of my furniture?
You are welcome to make a private agreement with the next tenant. In principle, however, your flat will be advertised unfurnished. Accordingly, there is no obligation on the part of the next tenant to buy your furniture.
When will I get my deposit back?
If the flat has been returned as agreed and no rent payments or additional payments from the ancillary cost accounts are outstanding, the deposit will be transferred back immediately. For the sake of completeness, however, we would like to point out that the landlord has the right to retain the deposit for any subsequent claims for up to six months after the end of the contract.
Your contacts
Katrin Hennig
Sr. Property Manager
RdB Real Estate
Tenderweg 2
45141 Essen

Phone: +49 (0) 201 857954 90
Felix Bartmann
Jr. Property Manager
RdB Real Estate
Tenderweg 2
45141 Essen

Phone: +49 (0) 201 857954 90
Ask us your question
You can reach us through many channels. Have you read our FAQ but you couldn't find an answer to your question? Ask your question here and we will try to answer it and help you as quickly as possible.